• Telephone: 01233 629950
  • Email: info@venueholidays.co.uk


We strongly advise that you take out your own adequate vehicle and travel insurance, which includes cancellation cover. We are not liable for any loss or disappointment that you may suffer in the case that you are not adequately insured.

Medical Cover 

If you have a current European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) it will continue to be valid in EU countries up to its expiry date. You will need to apply for the new Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) when your current EHIC expires. The new GHIC card is free to obtain from the official GHIC website, visit www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/healthcare-abroad/apply-for-a-free-uk-global-health-insurance-card-ghic/  
The EHIC and the GHIC are not equivalent to travel insurance as neither cover private medial healthcare or other costs. It is essential that you take out a valid private travel insurance policy and we strongly recommend that this cover includes protection against medical costs, cancellation or curtailment, should you or a member of your party contract Covid-19, either before or during your holiday.  
The latest travel information is provided by the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office at www.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo and 


Insurance It is your responsibility to ensure your car is roadworthy and properly insured for use outside of your country of residence. Your UK vehicle insurance gives you a minimum of third party cover to drive your vehicle in EU countries. Check with your insurer if your policy has extra cover for things like theft or damage to your car abroad. 

Green card You need to carry a physical copy of a  Green Card for your vehicle to drive in the EU, which is an internationally recognised document that acts as proof of insurance when driving abroad. Contact your insurer and request your card at least six weeks in advance. Your insurers may charge for this service. You may also need a Green Card for your trailer or caravan, so check with your insurer. If in doubt speak to your insurance company. 

Registration documents  You must carry your car log book (V5C). If the vehicle is not registered in your name, for example if it is a lease or hire car, you will need a VE103 certificate. 

Driving permits Please also ensure that your driving licence is valid for the countries to which you are travelling. 
If you have a paper license or your driving license was used in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man, you may also need an international driving permit (IDP0 to drive in some EU countires and Norway from 1st January 2021. These are available from the Post Office. 

What to carry It is compulsory to display a GB sign on your car, either by number plates that include the GB euro-symbol or a GB sticker. NB from September 28 this must be replaced by a new UK sticker, or a new number plate with the UK symbol. 
You must also carry a warning triangle (2 in Spain) and a hi-viz vests. In France, motorists must carry 2 single-use breathalysers certified by French authorities, showing an ‘NF’ (French Standard) number. Please remember to adjust your headlights with deflector strips so they dip to the right. It is not allowed to carry or use a speed camera detector in France.
Recommended items to carry are spare light bulbs, a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit (compulsory in Austria). 
All of these items can be bought from motoring shops, AA or RAC shops and at the ports. 
For more info about driving abroad, please visit www.gov.uk/driving-abroad